We had a great turn out at our January meeting. Lots of familiar faces, and some new ones too! This is your last reminder that $35 membership renewals are due. In February anyone who has not renewed will be removed from our membership roster and Facebook group. Please see the Facebook group or check your email for the mailing address.
Education: Melissa Curley is our new Education Chair. She sent around papers asking what our members want to learn this year, and what our members would like to teach in a short 5-15 minute demo. We have been challenged this month to find out if we are using an accurate ¼” seam allowance using a handout with a printed ¼” line.
Events: Chelsa Knight Barton is our continuing Events Chair. We have our first Guest Teacher, Latifah Saafir, tentatively booked for the last weekend in September 2017.
Social Media: Hannah Robinson is our new Social Media Chair. We are looking to increase our social media presence this year on Instagram and Facebook. Hannah is also bringing back the blog/website! The blog will have meeting recaps and resources for our monthly activities. It will also have information about meeting dates and other events.
Swaps and Challenges: Sara Carey is our new Swaps and Challenges Chair.
- The 2016 Block of the Month challenge is officially over and we are not doing a Block of the Month in 2017. Check out this link and this link that Kristin Welsh shared on the guild Facebook group for inspiration on how to set your BOM blocks!
- Kona Color of the Year Challenge: The first challenge of 2017 is themed around the Kona Color of the Year, Pink Flamingo. For this challenge you will make a mini quilt (no bigger than 24″x 24″) or another 3D object (something other than a mini quilt).There will be three prizes: 1. best use of the color in a mini quilt 2. best use of the color in a 3D object 3. all entries will be entered into a drawing for the third prize. The challenge entry is due at the May meeting where we will vote for the winners! You can buy a fat quarter of Pink Flamingo from the guild for $2 at the February meeting (shipping permitted). If you want to buy additional fabric, look for “COTY 2017” on the bolt, it does not say Pink Flamingo.
- Block Lottery: February means Valentine’s Day! For this month’s block lottery we are doing the Heart Block from Cluck Cluck Sew in the 9″ size. See this page for block requirements! Sara also had a great tip for those big off-cut corners, sew them together for extra half square triangles!
- Quilting Bee: Chelsa is organizing the 2017 quilting bee. Check the Facebook group for more details. We will post full rules and expectations on the website in the near future!
- We had several charity quilts shown at the meeting that were handed out to volunteers for binding. We will still be taking dog beds, NICU quilts, and any other charity projects that you may want to donate. We also want to say a special thanks to past Charity Chair Caroline for all her hard work and organization last year!
- Our group QuiltCon charity quilt is almost finished! We ended up editing out some of the original colors and blocks guild members donated, but they will still be used in other charity quilts.
Fundraising: Sue Greene is our continuing Fundraising Chair. We have some shirts and one tote bag with our guild logo available for sale. There are two Navy Blue size Medium and one Gray size XL. Sue is also looking into mugs, lanyards, and new shirts to sell this year.
Photos from the meeting: