The Las Vegas Modern Quilt Guild collaborates to make quilts for various charities. We focus on making quilts for people in the Las Vegas community. Members participate by bringing a completed block, or blocks, to the monthly meeting. After there are enough blocks for a quilt, members volunteer their time to sew the top together, quilt, and/ or bind the quilt. We accept charity blocks throughout the year and do not adhere to strict deadlines. We also accept quilts members have made on their own, gently used quilts, blankets and pillowcases (stuffed 1/2 full with fabric scraps). We regularly donate to Child Haven, Summerlin Hospital and the animal shelter.
See photos of the quilts we have finished and donated in 2017 here!
Charity Block Guidelines
The Las Vegas MQG accepts charity blocks continuously. Below you will find the guidelines for specific charity block styles that we are currently collecting. We gather blocks until we have enough to make a full quilt, or quilts. We introduce new blocks approximately every 2-3 months.
Veteran’s Square Blocks
For the months of June and July we will be collecting blocks to make quilts for local Veterans. We will be using this stack and whack tutorial from Alison at Cluck Cluck Sew. PLEASE NOTE: Our blocks will be the larger size she mentions at the end of the tutorial. Start with a 9.5 inch square. Blocks will measure 8.5 inches when you’re done.
- Fabrics should fit into our red, white and blue theme
- Start with 9.5 inch squares as mentioned at the end of the tutorial.
- Turned in blocks should measure 8.5 inches.
- Individual blocks – do not sew together
The tutorial for the Bowtie blocks can be found here.
- Bowtie should be made of blue or orange (solid or print)
- Background should be grey (solid or print) not white as shown in the sample.
- 9.5″ unfinished blocks
- Individual blocks – do not sew together 🙂
- Final layout of quilt will depend on how many blocks we collect!
Here is some color inspiration for your blocks!
Xs and Os Blocks
The tutorial for the Xs and Os blocks can be found here.
- X and O: pink or aqua (solid or print, but each block should be either pink OR aqua)
- background: gray (solid or print)
- 9.5″ unfinished block
- scrappy blocks are great!
The tutorial for the #Hashtag Block can be found here.
- hashtag: bright rainbow color (solid or print)
- background: white (solid or low volume)
- 12″ finished block