Pink Flamingo Challenge
The first challenge of 2017 is themed around the Kona Color of the Year, Pink Flamingo. For this challenge you will make a mini quilt (no bigger than 24″x 24″) or a 3D object (something other than a mini quilt, such as a pouch, bag, pin cushion, etc.). Bring your entry to the September 27 meeting!
There will be three prizes:
- best use of the color in a mini quilt
- best use of the color in a 3D object
- all entries will be entered into a drawing for the third prize
Notebook Cover Swap
Our next guild swap will be a graph paper notebook and cover, to be exchanged at the May 2017 meeting.
Bloom and Blossom has a tutorial to help you create a cover for any sized notebook. You can find it here. This is the tutorial I used and I found it well written with lots of pictures and video at the end to help with the last step.
We are also challenging you to incorporate our guild logo. A fabric swatch with the logo printed on it will be provided at the April meeting. Get creative and have fun! This is a great opportunity to try out a new skill because the project is on the small side. I tried my hand at foundational paper piecing and had fun making something small.
You will be swapping both the cover and the graph paper notebook. I found them at Office Depot, here is an example.
- The notebook must contain graph paper
- The cover needs to fit the graph paper notebook you purchased
- The LVMQG logo should be incorporated somewhere on the cover
“Out of the Box” Mug Rug Swap
At the March meeting we will be swapping mug rugs BUT they cannot be a square or rectangle! Think outside the box! The mug rug should be big enough to fit a mug and a little snack next to it, so approximately 8″ x 8″. Check out this tutorial for an example of an “out of the box” mug rug.
Sin City Quilting Bee
- Each month one member will be the Queen Bee!
- The Queen will come up with/design a block or pattern that is free.
- She will test her block and bring an example to the meeting on her assigned month.
- The Queen writes up instructions on how she’d like her block made. A Queen may use an online tutorial as long as the link is included.
- She creates packets with her own fabric for members to create from.
- Any unique tools will need to be provided to the hive members.
- The block may be up to 16” and may consist of 4 sections.
- Blocks must be returned the next month unless arrangements are made on the month the Queen is passing out block packets. If you can’t make it to guild, give it to a friend to bring to guild so that the Queen won’t be left waiting.
- If you have a question about the pattern or instructions, post in the LVMQG Facebook group and tag the Queen Bee with your inquiry.
- Post your progress pics or finished block on Instagram and use our #SinCityBee hashtag.
- February – Chelsa Barton
- March – Lauren English
- April – Sue Greene
- May – Kristin Reisner
- June – Sara Carey
- July – Katie Tolentino
- August – Sherri Still
- September – Kristen Welsh
- October – G Elizondo
- November – Michelle Hernandez
- December – Kirsty Michaelis
- Jan. 2018 – Christina Meeks